Well, its more than a week since my downer post about my sad pathetic love life, and I’m happy to report that things are looking up! My emotions are still all over the map most days, but I think I’m moving in the right direction. I’m slowly settling into a new rhythm, making lots and lots of plans with friends so that I have plenty to do during the weekends (the time when I’m most afraid I’ll get super lonely) and generally enjoying this time to focus on me and what I need in my life. So far, I’ve discovered that I need a few things to make me happy
1. Exercise. I don’t know how I would have held to together the last few weeks if I didn’t exercise on a regular basis. I covered 10 miles on the track this weekend, another 10 on the bike this morning and logged nearly 20 miles of running last week along. Clearly, I blow off steam by exercising
2. Good food. The more I think about myself and learn what I need to feel good, the more I realize it revolves around health. Health, for me, comes from good food. I’m making sure that I don’t drown my sorrows in a pint of Ben and Jerry’s (although, man does that sound good). Instead, I stocked my kitchen with healthy produce, whole grains, organic cage free eggs and poultry and cooked up a delicious batch of sweet potato cookies for when the sweet tooth strikes. Good things in, good things out 🙂
3. Sleep. The first few days, I couldn’t sleep at all. I was just tossing and turning, thinking about how upset I was. Then, I started to calm down, my sleep schedule returned and I feel like a new woman!
4. Friends. Ya, can’t say it enough- girl talk is the ultimate broken-heart-healer. As is time out with good guy friends who will tell you dirty jokes, make you laugh until it hurts, and then buy you a great drink just because they want to. I’ve had plenty of both of these things, and I’m looking forward to more
5. My mom. Nothing better than a mother who will listen to you cry on the phone and then send you an email about the healing benefits of dark chocolate along with a promise that some is arriving in your mailbox soon. She’s the best